Using the right boat covers do more than just protect your boat from the elements. It can also help prevent dents, scratches and dings caused by factors outside your control, keep out bugs, critters and bird droppings, and reduce overall cleaning time before launching. Additionally, a good boat cover can cut repair and replacement costs, prevent casual theft of parts and equipment (e.g. electronics, outboards, and outdrives), ensure a longer boat life and enhance its resale value.
Considering the numerous benefits that you can get from using a boat cover, isn’t it about time you consider using one for your favorite water craft?
Choosing the Right Boat Covers: Some Things to Consider
Here are some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a boat cover.
- Type of fit. Boat covers come in three main styles – custom, semi-custom and universal. Custom boat covers provide the best fit but it can be very expensive. On the other hand, universal boat covers are very affordable and can be used on a wide range of boats of similar sizes, but are only suited for light duty use. They also do not hold well when trailering. If you want to get the best value for your money, consider using semi-custom boat covers since they provide the same level of protection as custom fits but are considerably more affordable.
- To provide the best protection, know the exact dimensions of your boat before buying a cover.
- Keep in mind that not all covers are suitable for multipurpose use (e.g. for trailering, mooring or storage). To make sure you are buying the right cover to suit your purpose, always ask the retailer or manufacturer for recommendations.
- Since boat covers can be made from a variety of materials, choose one that is best suited for your environment and local conditions.
Choosing the Right Fabrics for Your Boat Cover
Basically, the type of fabric used determines the price of boat covers. However, it is also the most important factor that determines how well your boat will be protected so you need to know which fabric will suit your intended application. To help you choose the best cover for your boat, consider these tips:
- Choose a cover with good UV protection for boats that are usually exposed under the sun.
- Boats stored in humid areas will need a cover made from a breathable fabric (e.g. acrylic) to prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
- A cover made from highly resistant fabric such as coated polyester is ideal for boats that are exposed to snow or heavy rainfall.
- When choosing boat covers for trailering purposes, choose one that is made from fabrics that provide high tensile strength and superior abrasion resistance.
- Choose a multi-layered boat cover. It’s really all about the layers so aside from choosing the right fabrics, you should also make sure that your chosen boat cover has at least three layers to it. A multi-layered boat cover provides superior UV and water resistance while preventing mold, mildew and rust formation, and keep your precious water craft scratch-free while you keep it under wraps.